Moving right along with Content Area 3: Elements of a Magento eCommerce Site, we’re talking about all things Shopping Cart in this post. We’ll mainly be concerned about how discounts are handled in the shopping cart, how account creation related, multiple shipping options, and guest checkout. We’ll also see a few slight differences in Enterprise Edition vs Community.
1. How can you create a product discount to have it automatically added in the shopping cart?
This spoils question 7 a little bit. To create an automatic discount in the shopping cart, we would create a new shopping cart price rule,
2. What are the different product or order price discount options available in the shopping cart in Magento Enterprise Edition?
- Percent of product price discount
- Fixed amount discount
- Fixed amount discount for whole cart
- Buy X get Y free (discount amount is Y)
3. Can guest customers place orders?
4. Can customers ship products to multiple different addresses using native Magento functionality?
Yes, If multiple shipping is enabled. To turn this on, go to
5. How can a customer register an account when placing an order?
When moving from the cart to checkout, the customer has the option to
6. Can shopping cart products be shared among different websites?
This question is probably meant to be a little confusing. In Magento, there are three scopes
A cart cannot be shared between
7. What are the different shopping cart promotion types, and how can shoppers apply them as discounts?
There are four rules that can be created as shopping cart promotions (
* Percent of product price discount
* Fixed amount discount
* Fixed amount discount for whole cart
* Buy X get Y free (discount amount is Y)
These rules can be applied either automatically — if they meet the conditions and
8. How does the persistent shopping cart option work in Magento?
To enable this, we go to
9. Does Magento Enterprise Edition functionality allow merchants to contact shoppers about their abandoned shopping carts?
In the backend section of Magento Enterprise, there is an Abaondoned Carts Report. We get get to that at