We’re now moving into Content Area 3: Elements of a Magento eCommerce Site. This is the meat and potatoes section that deals with actual Magento usage and less general best practices. This is by far the largest content area broken out into 13 segments. Since there is so much to cover in each section, I’ll be creating a post for each one. This post deals with the Magento Catalog and managing products and categories.
1. What are the different product types in Magento Enterprise Edition?
The built-in product types are:
- Gift Card
2. What are the minimum attributes to create a simple product?
When we create a simple product, the minimum attributes that are required are
3. What is the product “Attributes Set” used for in Magento? Can you have different product types using the same Attributes Set?
4. What is the process of creating layered navigation (including category creation and attributes, product attribute types, and product-category associations)?
In order for Layered Navigation to appear on category pages, they must be set as an
Next attributes need to be set to be used as filters in layered navigation. To do this, we go to the Attributes Listing under the
The Magento Community User Guide also has an excellent walkthrough in Chapter 9.
5. What are the different ways in which an Admin user can update product inventory?
There are several ways to do this in the Magento backend.
To directly manipulate the inventory on the product, these methods will work
- Directly updating the inventory in the product page
- Selecting multiple products from the product listing then performing mass attribute update
- Using the import/export functionality to load data from a CSV file
There are also indirect ways which will change inventory levels for items. These involve working with orders and returns.
- Cancelling an order will return items to stock
- Creating a credit memo with items returned to stock
- Using the admin functionality to place an order for a customer
6. How can you display associated products in the cart and on the product page?
On the product pages in the admin console, there are options to select
7. How can you create page redirects for specific search requests?
To specifically redirect a search result, go to
8. Can a customer submit a JPG image with a product review?
No, We can only create
9. How can you display a telephone number in a page footer using Admin functionality?
First the phone number has to be set. To do so, go to
Then we can insert the phone number into our content using a Magento editor variable. In any CMS entry area, you can click
10. Which Magento feature can be used to display different content (example: CMS banner) depending on customer type/group?
In Enterprise Edition,
- On the Admin menu, select CMS > Banners. Then, do one of the following:In the upper-right corner, click the Add Banner button. Open an existing banner in edit mode.
- Set Specified from the Customer Segments to “Specified.” Then in the list, select eachcustomer segment that you want to target with the banner.Customer Segments.
- Make any other changes to the banner, as needed.
- When complete, click the Save Banner button.
— Chapter 24 of the Magento Enterprise User Guide