Magento Solution Specialist – Content Area 2: Architecture – Questions 1 – 6
The second area of study focuses on Magento Architecture. This is relatively important and will comprise about 30% of the test questions. The main focus is on understanding the Magento framework, some PHP concepts, MVC architecture, what features would require custom code and what functionality is baked into Magneto.
From what I understand, this is not a developer-level test, so concepts are most likely going to be more important that implementation details.
1. What are the unique advantages of Magento MVC architecture when building a site?
is a software design pattern.
-This is the data object that represents the entity we’re working with – be it a customer, order, payment method, etc.
– This component takes the model and displays it to the user. It’s responsible for the presentation.
– This is the glue that holds the model and view together. The controller shuttles information between the user’s view and is responsible for manipulating the models.
MVC is a very useful design pattern to use as it allows the look and feel to be changed (the
) without worrying about changing any core functionality. Also, we can easily extend or override what the
do if we wish to customize its functionality.
2. What are the two methods available in the Magento Admin (in the System Section) to change the design of a site?
The first option to change them in the admin section is at
System -> Configuration
. Select Design on the left bar and then expand the
option in the accordion. You can fill in your theme information here and it will be the default for your stores.
The second option is located under the Design section.
Add Design Change
and then select the store and theme options you want below. This works great for special events such as holidays or sales as there’s a start and end date when these themes will run.
3. How can you change the layout of catalog pages using Magento Admin functionality?
Products and categories can also have custom designs associated with them. These options are located under the Design tab on the selections.
4. How is product data constructed in Magento (product attributes, inventory, price, images, etc.)?
Product information is stored as
Entity Attribute Value
. The attributes are shared among product such as color, size, price, etc. The way the data is structured, it’s possible to add as many attributes as you require. Attributes can also be associated into
that can be associated with products.
5. When does product inventory change (decrease) during the ordering process? How can an administrator control the inventory change?
If Stock Management is on, stock is decreased when an order is placed. If you want to use Stock Management without automatically decreasing stock you can change the option at
System -> Configuration
. Clicking inventory on the left bar gives us the
6.What is RMA in Magento and what are the RMA types?
RMA stands for
Return Merchandise Authorization
. This is a self-service feature, exclusive to Enterprise Edition, where the customer can request a return for their merchandise from their account dashboard. The three types of RMA’s are Exchange, Refund and Store Credit.